Dear Zion Family/Community,
We have been working diligently to create a plan for returning to campus in a safe and responsible manner, pulling in guidance from local, state and national health experts for the 2020-2021 school year, which begins on August 17, 2020. We know nothing can rival a modern classroom, where students can learn face-to-face from a highly qualified teacher and collaborate with peers. We also recognize the vital role school plays in promoting socialization, nutrition, mental health and physical activity.
Please read over the plan that will be put into place for reopening so that you are aware of the procedures.
- Remain open for in-person instruction Monday- Friday from 8 am to 3 pm (as well as before and after school care) until mandated not to do so, if there are no positive results among staff and families.
- If someone is symptomatic (see below for symptom definition) but not tested yet, we will inform family and staff and will close until results have been received. If results come back positive for COVID 19, we will move to Phase 2.
- Parents are asked to take children's temperatures each day before leaving for school. This is to limit creating a fearful environment at school. If a child has a temp of 99.5 or higher please keep them home, notify the school and observe the 72 hour exclusion. We are trusting staff and families to be prudent in observing these exclusion rules so that we can remain open.
- Enhanced cleaning procedures will include adding hourly wipe downs of high touch areas, fully cleaning all shelves and toys after use and each day at closure, removing any high risk/hard to clean supplies. Bathrooms and drinking fountains will be sanitized multiple times throughout the day. It is encouraged that students bring their own water bottle with a lid (reusable water bottles are preferred) to discourage drinking fountain usage.
- Pickup and drop off will be modified. We will have a check-in station at each grade-level entry (entry locations will be shared at a later date) where temperatures will be taken and recorded, and we will screen for symptoms. Only essential personnel will be permitted to enter the facility. These procedures will be to limit the exposure to our staff members and school, as well as limit repeated touching of door knobs and sinks by multiple people. Masks or face shields are required for anyone coming onto the school grounds (please notify the school office if there is a health concern regarding this policy). We ask that you bring your own face mask/ shield, but if you arrive without one we will provide one as needed.
- We will limit items brought from homes.
- Social distancing: This is the hardest part because some children this age struggle with this concept. We will have desks spaced out, and recess and lunch schedules will be staggered.
- Require all staff to practice and monitor social distancing outside and inside the classroom as best they can.
- Require staff and students to wash their hands multiple times throughout the day. Utilize the hands-free sanitizer and paper towel dispensers, newly installed throughout the campus.
- For the safety of our Zion community, we ask staff and families not to hide symptoms.
(This phase will be enacted if we have a positive test among staff or families.)
- All staff and families will be notified and those who have been in close contact with the affected individual will be notified to observe voluntary isolation.
- Should we be mandated to close or have a positive case among families or staff, we will ask healthy staff to come in to clean and prepare to be closed at least 2 weeks, possibly longer. All surfaces, toys, etc. will be thoroughly cleaned.
- In the event that we are mandated to be quarantined as a community, we will do everything in our power to arrange care for children of healthcare and other essential workers.
- During mandatory quarantine, we will transition into remote learning.
- Tuition assistance is available to any families facing financial difficulties.
Emergency Symptomatic Plan
In the event we have someone showing active symptoms of Covid - 19, we will follow the steps below. Here are the symptoms to watch for:
- Body aches
- Chills, sweats
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Isolate symptomatic children or staff. Emergency services will be contacted if any symptoms of difficulty breathing are present.
- Immediately contact family from the updated emergency contact form to pick up immediately.
- Follow Phase 2
Our first priority is the health and safety of our students and their families. Please be aware that this is subject to change as we monitor the pandemic outbreak in our local area.
In His Service,
Elizabeth Lyles Zion School Board
Acting Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
714-535-3600 EXT. 402
714-535-3600 EXT. 402