What We Believe
Zion is a Christian church whose beliefs find their roots firmly planted in God's word. The key to growing deeper in a relationship with Him is found in the pages of His letter to us, the Bible.
As Christians we believe that there are certain beliefs that are non-negotiables.
1. We believe that the Bible, both Old and New Testaments is true. The words are the inspired words of God to us and can be trusted as such. We consider the Bible the final authority on all matters to which it speaks. [Psalm 19:7-11, 119:105; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20-21]
2. There is one God, who exists forever in perfect community as three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. [Genesis 1:26-27; Deuteronomy 6:4; Colossians 1:15-17; Hebrews 1:8]
3. Jesus Christ is fully man and fully God. He is the perfect image of God’s character and glory. He lived a sinless life and offered himself as the only perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on the cross. All who believe in Him are declared righteous on the basis of His death. He rose physically from the dead and will return again to earth to reign forever with those who are His. [Matthew 1:18-25; John 1:14, 8:40,58, 11:33; Acts 1:9-11; Romans 5:8-10; Colossians 1:15-17; Hebrews 1:8]
4. People are created in the image of God, but each one has fallen short of God’s perfect standard (what we call sin) and is in need of a savior. [Genesis 1:26; Romans 3, 5:12-19; Ephesians 2:1-3, 4:18-19]
5. Salvation from our sinful condition is a free gift from God to us. It is not something we earn or deserve. It is offered in grace and received by faith in Jesus Christ alone. Those who believe in Jesus Christ and call on His name are made right with God and given eternal life. [John 3:16, 14:6; Romans 3:28, 8:31-39; 1 Corinthians 12:13; Galatians 3:26-27; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 Timothy 2:5-6]
If you want to know more about our beliefs as Lutherans see the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synods website for detailed descriptions of all other beliefs.